Thursday, January 12, 2006

Schoolboy Mentality Comparison and a Bad Idea

Yesterday I subbed for a grade 11 English class. A young man in the class was taking a poll of who is cooler: Pirates or Ninjas. I chose ninjas (duh!) and he was outraged by my answer. My response to him: First of all, you asked the question, second of all, they are the Japanese masters of the dark arts and the silent messiahs of death. How could you choose pirates?

That certainly threw him for a loop.

Today, subbing for the literacy development fellow at an Elementary school I was accosted in the hallway by a boy of about eleven who asked me: Can you help get my pants down from the basketball hoop? That is not a lie. It is a quote. He was using his pants in lieu of a basketball. When I asked him what he learned afterwards he looked at me and said: Wrap my pants in a tighter ball next time.

It's good to hear that boys don't change much.




The Bad Idea:

Last night I watched the first of 10 films on my Wal-Mart special $5 Cult Horror Collection DVD set: 1973's Don't Look in the Basement. It is a monumentally poor film. Awful. Almost so awful that it's good but it doesn't quite reach those heights/lows.

The bad idea found within: treating a delusional psychotic who thinks that he is a judge and that everything in the world is impure by allowing him to chop wood with an axe while you crouch within axe-swinging range.

It's just a bad idea. I took 2 years of psychology in university and not once was that method of treatment recommended.

You can imagine how that ended up.

4 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Stacie Ponder said...

Ugh. That's a dreadful movie. Not good/bad...just...bad. Damn those dirt-cheap dvds! I've bought more crap for a low low price than I care to admit.

4:32 pm  
Blogger Des said...

Yeah...Memorial Valley Massacre is not much better either. Although it does have a few explosions and drunken bikers!

5:30 pm  
Blogger Admin said...

Your vote wasn't counted!

You'll need to go to the official voting page for your vote to count:

http://www.thebestofblogs.com/vote-here/

Sorry for the screw up! I thought everyone was voting via the comment section!

2:34 am  
Blogger Kim said...

Hahaha - boys definitely don't change! I'm finding that the longer I teach teenagers (did I ever mention I did my practicum in grade one?) the more I realize they're just like kindergartners and first graders! I can't tell you how many times in the last few months I've quoted my former elementary school teachers :-)

5:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home