Tuesday, January 10, 2006

No Real Direction Whatsoever...

Excuse me but this will be a bit of a ramble:

I'm here in Port Alberni by myself as Meg and Cade are on the mainland. She has assured me she will give him a kiss for me. I came home early to work if called in and I pulled a half day today at the high school.

Since returning home from work, I have kept myself busy in my loneliness with a frenzy of writing. Good stuff is getting done but with very little to show for it. This is my curse.




After watching a bit of the Canadian Federal Election debate I have come to notice two things:

1. Hearing these party leaders scramble to make points in a short allotted time makes for some interesting sentence structures. I believe I just heard Paul Martin refer to Aboriginal peoples as the "cause of poverty" in Canada and that Stephen Harper (boo! hiss!) refers to poor people as "them" a lot.

and

2. The phrase, "with all due respect" at the beginning of a statement means: "I don't mean to be respectful in any way."




One thing that makes me feel very special is that I get at least one email a day from Warren Ellis. I, of course, along with thousands of others who belong to his Bad Signal mailing list received this link to an interview of him by artist/writer Michael Avon Oeming. It interestingly has both fellas talking a bit about their creative process as well as urine-stained crack whores.




I mean to talk about comics in depth more, maybe even tonight, but allow me some short praise for writer, Brian K. Vaughan.

Ex Machina is a story about a former superhero becoming mayor of New York City. This is much less about superheroes than it is about politics. Vaughan does it beautifully.

And of course Y the Last Man is one of the reasons why I read comics. Yorick and his pet monkey, Ampersand, are the only living creatures on the planet with a Y chromosome to survive a worldwide instant mass death of every male creature. Yorick, whose mother was formerly the Minister of Agriculture or something and has succeeded to presidency, happens to be an escape artist on a mission to find his fiance in Australia while accompanied by an Asian scientist and an African American secret agent charged with protecting the world's only known male human.




More about some new music later as well.




Back to writing.

3 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Megan said...

Kissed and cuddled!
Glad to hear you're making the most of not having diaper-duty to worry about!

Miss you!
M&C

2:51 am  
Blogger Admin said...

I love what you wrote about the debate! Very funny!

3:40 am  
Blogger Des said...

M&C-Miss you too! Kind of miss the diapers. is that wrong?

V-Thanks! I am rather witty. And humble.

5:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home