Tuesday, May 30, 2006

"B" ootiful

Haven't blogged in a long time. Here is a short little meme thing I got from Vesper. Whah? You ask? A meme from Vesper? You don't say! ;)

Here are the rules:

Comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write 10 words beginning with that letter in your blog, including an explanation what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.

Mine letter be B. I will bold all of the responses...

Batman: As if you couldn't guess! I read Batman when I was a wee wee lad. He was fun but I liked Spider-man and the X-Men more (hyphenated heroes appealed to me I guess). As I aged I began to devour Batman. I don't currently read a Batman series but I will when Morrison gets his hands on the "hairy-chested love god." I fully believe that Batman is the greatest modern fictional character ever. He is the peak of human perfection, fully capable of out-thinking just about anyone and beating them. I love Batman.

Baghdad: This city has occupied so much television time in my lifetime. What with Gulf War 1, 2 and Gulf War 3: The Continuing Adventures of Gulf War 2. It is a word that is symbolic of chaos, violence, oppression and the cradle of civilization. Comics again: Neil Gaiman's Sandman issue titled (I think) "Baghdad" is a wonderful kind of love story to Baghdad and its past glories as well as alluding to its current situation.

Berserker: One of the pre-cursors for werewolf legends is the true story of Viking invaders who went to battle wearing wolf skins and eating psylocybic mushrooms in order to trip out so that they believe they are wolfmen. Fuck! Isn't that cool? I've got about eleven story ideas for this premise that I can't wait to get one going that sticks.

Baby: Cade has taken so much of my time both physically and intellectually lately that it is hard to write this post without searching for a word that describes him. Baby seems to work well. As would flatulent but F is not my letter (be that it were).

Ballad: No word can encapsulate such beauty and terror as ballad. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is essentially a ballad, as is Don't Fear the Reaper (more cowbell!). However, any awful piece of shit "musician" can write a sappy hunk of garbage that has 2 notes and call it a ballad. You hear that Ashlee Simpson?!

Baroque: A really beautiful word that is often misused, by myself among others. I often use it to describe Clive Barker's writing (shit! now I can't use Barker!) or anything else ornate. I enjoy Baroque music as well. I took a history of music class (that also scarily included a lot of theory) that included a lot of Baroque music just to have a prerequisite for a midi composition class that I never took and I came away really liking it as well as having a respect for opera. I don't like opera but the closest I came to opera before this class was Judas Priest.

Bill Hicks: I know it's cheating a little bit but Bill Hicks is a modern prophet who wraps his message in profanity and dick-jokes. That's right, dick jokes. Bill Hicks believes in a conspiracy to murder JFK by those in charge of the government, human evolution through the consumption of psychoactive drugs (called squeegeeing the third eye), UFOs and foretold his own diagnosis of pancreatic cancer while on a mushroom trip with his friends. Do yourself a favour and check his stuff out.

Bleed: A tough, visceral word. Both an action and occasionally a command if you don't like the person.

Bland: A word I use to describe things that I don't necessarily enjoy but don't despise. Lindsay Lohan: bland. Ashlee Simpson: despise. Get it?

Bark: A versatile word. It can be the skin of a tree, the noise a dog makes or any variation of other noise including the verb form of such noises. Used nicely in phrases/cliches such as "barking up the wring tree" and "quit barkin' at me!"

Runners up were:
-ballast
-bollocks
-buzzcut
-bum
-birkenstocks
-Barf (not the verb, the John Candy character from Spaceballs)

4 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Kim said...

Interesting list, I like the bland and bark entries. Here's another B word for you - busted! As in, I was nearly busted reading your blog on company time right now but none other than the director herself. Luckily my fast "minimize the screen" reflexes kicked in on time :-)

11:05 pm  
Blogger Mimey said...

I like it. Batman is the only superhero type I've really explored in the comics themselves.

I enjoy baroque and I enjoy Barker. And in what way are priest not opera???

I did this ages ago, but give me a letter and I might have a new renaissance.

I only came here coz I was listening to Angel Dust, emoting loudly and didn't want to get on with the writing task I set myself.

the hands removed the bad thing...miracle

9:46 pm  
Blogger Des said...

jvs: Thanks for the comment!

Priest are operatic but not necessarily opera (have you heard Turbo Lover? Ugh!).

Angel Dust is a classic album.

I bestow upon the the letter P

9:54 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

I know it's a day early, but happy Father's Day!

11:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home