Friday, March 25, 2005

New comics day and more

As far as comics go...it was a pretty slow day (thankfully, next week is packed with DC stuff).

I only picked up one book! Here goes:

Shaolin Cowboy #2-
After the first issue's excesses I wasn't too sure about this series. I mean, it had a 10 page extended panel and some of the most excessive violence I've ever seen. There was almost zero story but the amazing art from Geof Darrow made me come back for the second helping, and I'm glad I did.

This issue, on the other hand, contains eleven pages of our title hero having a kung fu match with his nemesis, a crab!

Sounds absurd, and well...it is.

That's the charm though. We actually get quite a lot of back story on the crab (King Crab) including perhaps the funniest single panel I've seen yet. An assortment of Asian guys doing Tai Chi-type movements with a crab following! Crazy shit.

By the end of this issue we still know next to nothing about our hero but with him riding away in a very Eastwood-like scene I think that's what we're in for. I'm alright with it.

Overall: Amazing detailed art. The story lacks in places but it is absurd and hilarious. Pick it up.




Very quickly now...some stuff I found on the internet:

www.the-tape.com for some Ring Two hype

I have been taking a film class on the evolution on the horror genre the past few weeks and the instructor (Andy Dougan) interviewed Hideo Nakata, the director of Ring Two and the original Ringu films, who told him that the test audiences idea blew him away. In Japan, he says, there isn't enough money to pay people to watch a movie and complain about unless they are critics.

He also mentioned something very cool. He said that after his films he likes people to be scared for about 24 hours. Enough to affect their lives in a small way but not enough to traumatize them. He seems very nice. I'd go for the trauma every time...but I'm a sadistic bastard.




And, very quickly, the funniest thing I've seen in a while: The Ending to Every Eighties Movie Ever Made

Please check this out...it made my day.

Later folks

3 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Admin said...

That was the funniest thing ever. And Jade, my son, just yelled at me for playing it too loud. It was interfering with his Thomas the Tank Engine DVD.

6:53 pm  
Blogger Des said...

I loved it when I saw it and had to share it. Tell Jade he'll understand it when he gets older and watches Turner Classic Movies...

I'm assuming Goonies will be a classic by the time he's a teenager. Which makes me feel old but then I think of Dav. Haha

8:57 am  
Blogger Admin said...

Yeah, he's a fucking grandpa. Ha ha.

1:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home