Monday, April 18, 2005

My Top 50 Albums

I've been working on this for a few weeks now and have spent the last few days tinkering with the numbering when I came to the conclusion that this is a list that shifts from moment to moment and can only be seen as a representation of my personal favourites as of 10 minutes ago. It was all inspired by Rick - he, formerly of Eat More People - from Dark, But Shining.

His post from weeks ago opened up a can of worms that has plagued me until I finished this ever-changing list 15 minutes ago. It is pretty safe to say that the top 20 are mainstays.

I have tried to list artists only once but those of you who know of my Mike Patton fetish will understand his many appearances in this list. I have stayed simply to albums I currently own and may have forgotten a gem or two considering nearly my entire collection is in a box in Canada but here goes:

50. In KeepingSecrets of Silent Earth: 3 - Coheed and Cambria
49. Leviathan – Mastodon
48. Diabolus in Musica – Slayer (maybe the evilest album ever)
47. Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters
46. Joint Special Operations Task Force – General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners
45. Romances – Kaada and Mike Patton
44. Suspended Animation – Fantomas (the best collection of their best qualities)
43. Best of Communism (compilation) – Valogatott Mozgalmi Dalok
(not sure if this is the artist/orchestra or simply Hungarian for "Best of Communism")
42. A Grand Don’t Come for Free – The Streets
41. The Marshall Mathers L.P. – Eminem
40. Aenima – Tool
39. Sad Wings of Destiny – Judas Priest
38. Waking the Fallen - Avenged Sevenfold
37. Seven’s Travels – Atmosphere
36. Stoner Witch – Melvins
35. Wiseblood – Corrosion of Conformity
34. Gold – Ryan Adams
33. Desert Sessions 9&10 – Josh Homme, PJ Harvey, etc.
32. Rated R – Queens of the Stone Age (a toss-up between this and Songs for the Deaf)
31. Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death – Dead Kennedys
30. Damaged – Black Flag
29. We Have Come for Your Parents – Amen
28. We Have Come for Your Children – Dead Boys (for: "Ain't it fun when your friends despise what you've become?")
27. Reise Reise – Rammstein (a toss-up between this and Herzeleid)
26. Beggar’s Banquet – Rolling Stones
25. Natural Born Killers (OST) – Various Artists (Producer: Trent Reznor)
24. Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By – Lovage (Sexiest. Album. Ever.)
23. Antichrist Superstar – Marilyn Manson
22. Slipknot – Slipknot
21. Nola – Down
20. Mit Gas – Tomahawk
19. Vitalogy – Pearl Jam
18. Use Your Illusions II – Guns N Roses (stop laughing at me!)
17. Let Love In – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
16. California – Mr. Bungle ("Retrovertigo" may be the best sone ever recorded)
15. Downward Spiral – Nine Inch Nails
14. Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys
13. Superunknown – Soundgarden
12. Led Zeppelin II – Led Zeppelin
11. Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
10. The Mollusk – Ween (no explanation needed)
9. Master of Puppets – Metallica
8. Live at Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash (you can almost hear the hardened criminals sniffle and whimper when Johnny bellows out "The Green Green Grass of Home" which also happens to be my late grandfather's favourite tune. Mr. Cash reminds me of Gramps a lot. He also kicks a lot of ass!)
7. Raw Power – Iggy and the Stooges
6. Static Age – The Misfits (this was the soundtrack to my life between the ages of 13 and...well...now)
5. My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra – Frank Sinatra (anyone disses Frank on my watch gets a knuckle sammich!)
4. King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime – Faith No More ("Don't you look so surprised. Happy Birthday. Fucker!")
3. Relentless – Bill Hicks (had to pick one but any one will do. Bill Hicks was a modern prophet.)
2. Masters of Reality – Black Sabbath (their best album taught me how to play guitar)
1. Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd (the most listened-to album to date by me. maybe in the world.)

Whew...the next few posts will be inane and require much less work.

2 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Admin said...

I should do one of these lists, too. Good idea.

9:16 pm  
Blogger Des said...

Took me fucking forever. If you're like me it may be painful as well...:)

9:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home