Friday, May 06, 2005

New Comics Day(s)

Well this will be a short one as I'm tired and there were few purchases today...

First: News on my end is that my story will be published in the next anthology released by the Vicious Circle Project! Woo-hoo! Pretty damn psyched and more news will follow when I get it.






Justice League Elite #11 (of 12)-Hmm....I have been a big fan of this series from the beginning and this issue is pretty good but I'm unimpressed with it as a penultimate issue. Here's why: spinoffs need to bring the big guns (source characters) in at an early stage to create interest from the people who are going to buy it simply because Batman is in it. Then, they need to show that these are characters who are capable of supporting their own series. But, the worst thing a spinoff (especially one as strong as this) can do is undermine its coolness by bringing in the source characters for the last 2 issues. Hmm....

Villains United #1-Okay...I'll bite. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. the art was top notch and the writing was the ebst I have enjoyed from Gail Simone but the first 8 pages (and a few others later on) are nothing more than a thoughtless recruitment drive. I don't want to spoil the ending so I'll do this: [SPOILER] For a book with such a high profile to rip off the premise of a book influenced by latter books original influence it is quite sad.[END SPOILER] That sentence will have made sense to very few of you anyway.

As far as the books I bought in Belgium:

The Hunting Party-Bilal writes and draws a haunting tale of an international hunting expedition in the Russian wilderness during Stalin's rule. Either it is rooted in a true story or it is extremely well thought out. Probably both.

Enki Bilal is quickly becoming a favourite artist of mine and I must now see his film Immortel. I wanted to buy some other stuff by him but there is only the first 2 chapters of a trilogy available and with DC's dropping of the Humanoids imprint the third might never see the light of day.

It's a bit of a hard read (a slog through for such a short book) but it is really well-plotted and beautifully rendered ina haunting style.

Fragile: Love Never Dies-This is brilliant! Love it. Stefano Raffaele (sic? He of Blackburne Covenant fame) writes and draws a story of a world populated mostly by zombies a la 28 Days Later but has two of them fall in love. They go on a quest to discover the cure for zombism to continue their love affair.

Violent, scary, heart-wrenching, romantic and very satirical. One of the best OGNs I've read in ages. Available as a DC/Humanoids collaboration.

Sanctum-To be honest I'm only 4 or 5 pages in and had to go to sleep last night to silence the throbbing in my head. Looks good though. I'll get back to you.






Tim leant me The Happiness of the Katakuris on DVD the other day and I watched it last night. Bizarre. Takashi Miike outdoes himself in a mixture of influences ranging from Volcano, Ring, Night of the Living Dead and ........wait for it.........The Sound of Music. All in Japanese! The song and dance sequence when they discover the first body is cinematic magic!

Thanks Tim




This is from the Best. Christian. Website. Ever.

Yo Rumsfeld! Slayerrrrrrrrr!

I stole this portion of the posting from Tom Peyer. Go check his blog out...but come right back. I get lonely.






Damn! I said this would be a short one and again I've been sucked into writing on and on. Damn you internet and your wily ways!

I leave you with a paraphrasd quote from Billy Connolly:


"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
After that, who gives a shit? You're a mile away.
And you've got his shoes!"

5 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Davinder said...

For a book with such a high profile to rip off the premise of a book influenced by latter books original influence it is quite sad.

Man, you're right, that made no sense.

2:03 am  
Blogger Admin said...

Congrats on the story! :)

3:01 am  
Blogger Des said...

Dav: Gail Simone said she instantly stopped reading books involving villains when she got the job including Wanted after issue #1. This is a little suspicious considering the whole continent plot thing came about in issue 2. Even so, wouldn't DC editorial have some idea of a comic that sells so well written by such a heavy-hitter?

Portia: Thanks!

1:51 pm  
Blogger Davinder said...

I'd argue, though, that splitting up the continents like that is hardly an original idea. I remember an image from the forties with the Justice Society tied up and members of the Injustice Society carving a map of the US into kingdoms, and I'm sure I've seen the same done with continents before Wanted. That's kind of why the Wanted thing worked, because it was such a classic supervillain thing to do.

3:29 pm  
Blogger Des said...

Yeah...that's what I mean though. Wanted was supposed to be a Society of Supervillains story until Millar vs. DC happened so he used it for Wanted. You'd think with it so popular and fresh in people's minds that DC would have gone another route.

1:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home