Monday, May 02, 2005

Back from Brussels

Just got back from Belgium for the weekend...Brussels to be exact. I've got to say that it's really not my scene. I really dig continental Europe but I found the people in Brussels really snotty and unkind.

Plus: there's only so many waffles a man can take!

I've discovered that there must be an ingredient in Stella Artois that doesn't agree with me (no, I don't mean the alcohol). Nasty hangover yesterday and still slightly feeling it today.

Here are a few pictures:

The Mannikin de Pis (real title) is perhaps one of Belgium's most famous images. It is an utter disappointment. It's about the height from my elbow to my knuckles! I expected something almost as big as me but the gift shop next door sells statues larger than the original. And they dress him in absurd clothes. Who's job is it? What do you do for a living? Oh...I put clothes on that statue of the pissing kid.

Meg and I went to some museum for Bandes Dessines (comic books to the English-speaking) and it was quite interesting. Lots of stuff on Tin Tin to keep Megan conscious but lots of Moebius, Serpieri, Buscema and Bilal. Including one of the most beautiful images I have ever seen: Silver Surfer attacking Galactus the original art by Moebius. Mmmmmm.....Moebius.

Here I am standing with Le Visage Rouge shooting the shit when we see evil afoot.

I bought some cool books in the gift shop but I am having the laptop confiscated...I bid you adieu!

7 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Rick Geerling said...

I think you should have ganked that Le Visage Rouge outfit and scampered about the shadows of Brussels, fighting evil-doers of every language.

3:13 am  
Blogger Des said...

I totally would have, Rick. Although, the mixture of chocolate on waffles and the odd after-effects of Stella Artois made for a mighty strong Kryptonite...

11:28 am  
Blogger Rick Geerling said...

Yeah. I guess that would do a pretty bang up job.

9:28 pm  
Blogger Admin said...

why do they put clothes on the pissing kid? have they gone all ultra-conservative or something? my friend jocelyn went to Belgium and it was one of her favourite places...for food that is. i think she said the same thing about the people, although they did meet a sweet old couple...

11:12 pm  
Blogger Davinder said...

Waitaminnit, Des and Le Visage Rouge can't be the same person, I've seen a photo of them together.

3:16 am  
Blogger Des said...

Or have you mon ami. Uhmmm...I mean, Dav.

6:35 am  
Blogger Des said...

Portia:

Due to all the all night lapdance bars and erotic movie theatres I seriously doubt the conservative angle.

Perhaps the people of Brussels are just bored with the image.

There is something pleasingly absurd about the whole thing.

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home