Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Goodye October; Hello November: The follow-up show

Wow...what a lot of work October was.

31 days of long-winded reviews of my favourite horror films. I hope you enjoyed the reviews and that you had an awesome Halloween.

I would like to spend the first portion of this post mentioning some folks who did a fine job over the past month.

The fellas at Dark, But Shining always put together a great horror blog but the introduction of guest posters and contests made it even greater for the spooky month. I even was a runner-up in Sam's contest winning me a copy of Japanese horror comic, Uzumaki, that I eagerly await. Go check them out.

Stacie over at Final Girl did more work than anyone this past month. She reviewed a horror movie she had not yet seen for every day of the month including some mind-numbing/hallucination inducing day-long marathons of the Friday the 13th series and Halloween series. Do yourself a favour and go to her October archive and check 'em out. I found a couple of films I'll be tracking down myself. I too won a runner-up prize from Stacie's contest that I just pulled out of my mailbox. Thanks very much. A tip of my hat to you Stacie.

Most of all thanks to the fine folks who read the blog whether you commented or not.

Nightmare World by Aaron Weisbrod is an online horror comic that features some fine 8 page horror vignettes. Go support the guys at Nightmare World.

As far as listening tastes this month go: I dug deep into my Oblong Box Set by the Misfits containing everything recorded during Danzig's time with the band except for They Walk Among Us (under copyright to another record label) and listened to it dutifully over this past month, as well as my iPod playlist of movie themes and Rue Morgue magazine's online radio show (what I'm listening to right now, actually) updated every Friday.

I have decided to maintain a bit of horror-ness to this blog. Before I had the occasional movie review but I will make a conscious effort to talk more about horror in the coming days and months.




Back to regular business...

I will now ramble off some stuff that I have been meaning to mention for a while.

This is a three part scanned page type look at how one Kiwi fella went through to get out of a speeding ticket.




This, the final link of the post, has given me the only thing I will ask for for Christmas: a Trunk Monkey!




I try not to talk about boring pop culture bullshit too much because there are a lot of blogs out there doing that but this month my feelings for Ashlee Simpson went from vapid indifference to hatred that burns like the fire of a thousand suns. I'm not sure which of these lyrics anger me more:

1. You make me wanna la la, la la la.

or

2. Yea-ah Yea-ah Yea-ah HUH! A dudda dudda boyfriend.

I hate you so much Ashlee.




From what passes for music to a real music meme i pinched from Tom the Dog:

Favourite Beatles song: Happiness is a warm gun The White Album is my favourite album and if I were to choose one song from it it would probably be this one.

Favorite solo song by a former Beatle: I'm going to have a couple here simply because John Lennon rocked so damn much! Nobody Told Me is beautiful song just for the lyric "Everybody's making love but nobody really cares." Cold Turkey is a rough little song about addiction with some beautiful bluesy singing. How Do You Sleep? is a scathing little ditty about Paul McCartney with some lyrics that mek you go ouch!: "Those freaks was right when they said you was dead" and "a pretty face may last you a year or two but pretty soon they'll see what you can do."

Favorite Bob Dylan song: All Along the Watchtower I like me some apocalyptic vision poetry.

Favorite Pixies song: Hmmm...a tie between Dig for Fire and Monkey Gone to Heaven.

Favorite Prince song: Alphabet St. or Shockadelica. I don't like Prince but Ween used these songs in their pseudo cover LMLYP (Let Me Lick Your Pussy). They tried to write a song like Prince and that's what they came up with. Ween kicks all kinds of ass.

Favorite Michael Jackson song: Billie Jean. My knowledge of Michael's music is woefully inadequate but when I was bartending this song always got my head bouncing.

Favorite Metallica song: Not really a tough one. One of my favourite bands and this is one of my favourite songs ever: Sanitarium.

Favorite Public Enemy song: Fight the Power. A little predictable but with the line "Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me" can you blame me?

Favorite Depeche Mode song: Personal Jesus. But it should read "only Depeche Mode song you like". And only because Johnny Cash covered it.

Favorite Cure song: Bloodflowers.

Favorite song that most of your friends haven't heard: Retrovertigo by Mr. Bungle. Go buy the album "California" right now...I'll wait.

Favorite Beastie Boys song: Gratitude. Wickedest. Bassline. Ever.

Favorite Police song: Message in a Bottle.

Favorite Sex Pistols song: Bodies or Pretty Vacant. Both make my upper lip curl and begin my bobble-head impression of Sid Vicious.

Favorite song from a movie: Do themes count? If so then Halloween by John Carpenter.

Favorite Blondie song: Rapture.


Favorite Genesis song: I can't name one besides that dreadful "I Can't Dance" bullshit. So I bow out of this one.

Favorite Led Zeppelin song: Wow...hmm...Immigrant Song. Every band has their touring song but only Zeppelin told it from the viewpoint of Viking Warlords.

Favorite INXS song: Devil Inside. But Suicide Blonde and Original Sin are good too.

Favorite Weird Al song: I'll say I Lost on Jeopardy and hope it's not prophetic.

Favorite Pink Floyd song: Time from "Dark Side of the Moon" is my favourite but Welcome to the Machine and High Hopes get honourable mentions.

Favorite cover song: My Way by Frank Sinatra. My theory is don't bother covering a song unless you plan on making it your own. Nobody thinks of Paul Anka when they think of My Way. It's Frankie all the way.

Favorite dance song: Like dance music? Not many to choose from but I'll pick Breathe by Prodigy.

Favorite U2 song: I don't like U2. Shock! Horror! I think they're totally overrated and that Bono is a self-righteous fuckface. On the other hand, if I had to pick one song of theirs to listen to it would be Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Favorite disco song: I Was Made For Lovin' You by KISS.

Favorite The Who song: Baba O'Riley or Who Are You?

Favorite Elton John song: Your Song.

Favorite Clash song: Tough one. Right now it's Jimmy Jazz but often it switches between that one, London Calling, Career Opportunities, White Riot and Rudie Can't Fail. If you can't tell, I like the Clash.

Favorite David Bowie song: Diamond Dogs.

Favorite Nirvana song: Something in the Way.

Favorite Snoop Dogg song: Murder Was the Case.

Favorite Ice Cube song: Wicked.

Favorite Johnny Cash song: Jesus! I have to pick one? Delia's Gone is beautiful but The Green Green Grass of Home reminds me of my Grandpa so it wins hands down.

Favorite R.E.M. song: Crush Eyeliner.

Favorite Elvis song: Suspicious Minds is the best song about drugs ever.

Favorite cheesy-ass country song: Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down by Merle Haggard.

Favorite Billy Joel song: Rocket Man.

Favorite Bruce Springsteen song: Jersey Girl because he sounds like Nick Cave on that one.

Favorite Big Audio Dynamite song: As a big fan of The Clash I like to pretend that Big Audio Dynamite never existed. If I had to pick one then it would be Rush.

Favorite New Order song: Blue Monday is the only one I know and that song's alright with me.

Favorite Neil Diamond song: Solitary Man is one of the best songs ever written.

Favorite Squeeze song: I have no idea who Squeeze are.

Favorite Smiths song: How Soon is Now? a bit of a copout but I don't really know the Smiths very well.

Favorite Tragically Hip Song: New Orleans is Sinking is the only Hip song I like.

Favorite Beach Boys song: Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, God Only Knows, In My Room and Wouldn't It Be Nice. I grew up on them. I couldn't possibly narrow it down.

Favorite Dave Matthews Band song: Don't Drink the Water.

Favorite Dire Straits song: Sultans of Swing.

Favorite Elvis Costello song: Allison.

Favorite Guns 'N Roses song: Don't Damn Me.

Favorite Jimi Hendrix song: Hey Joe.

Favorite John Mellencamp song: Ugh...

Favorite Living Colour song: April Rain. It's a Corey Glover solo song but I'm changing the rules.

Favorite Neil Young song: Southern Man.

Favorite Paul Simon song: Call Me Al.

Favorite Simon & Garfunkel song: Bridge over Troubled Water. Johnny Cash and Fiona Apple cover it beautifully on Johnny's last album.

Favorite Queen song: Princes of the Universe. I can't count how many times I've sung along to this song.

Favorite Radiohead song: Just or Karma Police.

Favorite Sting song: If I ever Lose my Faith In You.

Favorite Tracy Chapman song: Fast Car.

Favorite Van Morrison song: Moondance. But there was a song of his that was used for an ad before the trailers started at the movies in Glasgow that went something like: "Boogaloo baby! I made it great!" That's my Favourite Van Morrison song. Please tell me the name.

Favorite XTC song: I had to look them up and still didn't find a song I recognize.





My blog is worth $4,516.32.
How much is your blog worth?



God! And so ends the longest post ever. I will be shorter in the future. I'm coming back through November with writing updates and I may even post a few snippets if I like what I'm doing.

7 Bitching, Moaning and Praise

Blogger Davinder said...

Holy crap, I started reading the favourite song thing thinking, "Hey, I'll do this too," but by about halfway down I realized how much work it'd be. That Sting song is my favourite too, and your comment on the Zeppelin song is priceless.

7:24 pm  
Blogger Des said...

Yeah...it was a lot more work than I originally expected.

And any song that features lyrics like "Valhalla I am coming" and "Hammer of the Gods" gets to be my favourite.

7:29 pm  
Blogger Stacie Ponder said...

Thanks for mentioning me, and thanks for what you said about U2!

12:37 am  
Blogger Des said...

Well, thanks again for the runner-up prize and I meant every word about Bono. Him and Bob Geldof can go sit on tacks!

2:38 am  
Blogger Admin said...

Wow you had a lot of repressed blog-emotions or something.

9:15 am  
Blogger Des said...

it seems that way yeah...

3:29 pm  
Blogger Des said...

Hey, if they offend right wing Christians they can't be that bad!

6:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home